Well, we are nearly at the end of the summer season and while the weather may be a bit on and off over the past few weeks, we have had at least a decent amount of sunshine. But as some of us have found out, just one day out in the sun can lead to your skin feeling dry, tight and burnt. Though you can achieve healthy skin again at home, at V for Hair and Beauty Merivale, we strongly recommended a specialised regular facial. Bad skin during summer is a definite call for a facial. As any season changes, we recommend an Exfoliating Steam Facial.
Major benefits of exfoliation
- Unclogs PoresThe primary function of exfoliation is to remove dead skin cells from the face (and other parts of the body). Although our bodies have natural processes to shed dead skin, our faces can pile up with dirt and debris, halting this natural shedding process.Thus, exfoliation sheds that first and second layer of dead skin, freeing up your face to work more naturally. It can help draw out all sorts of congestion, such as blackheads and whiteheads.
- Prevents BlemishesSince exfoliation helps to unclog pores, it can also help to prevent future blemishes from popping up. Exfoliators do not “extract” blemishes like many people believe they do. Rather, they draw out congestion to help your body naturally heal these blemishes on its own. Exfoliating once or twice a week will remove excess oil and skin cells that clog pores and cause blemishes, helping to prevent new breakouts before they even hit the surface. Keep in mind that over-exfoliation can cause irritation and make blemishes worse. Only exfoliate a few times per week depending on your skin type. (I like to do Sunday to get ready for my week, and Wednesday to help me get through the rest of the week.)
- Helps Even Out Skin ToneNot only does exfoliation remove dead skin, but it also helps to rejuvenate and re-energize new skin cells. It works to turnover cells and encourages your skin tissue to grow which leads to younger-looking skin overall! These new skin cells can help uneven skin tone, pigmentation, as well as post-breakout, red, and dark marks. I always find exfoliation to be incredibly relaxing and soothing as you feel the scrub moving across your face. It’s like you can feel your skin circulating and revivifying!
- Improves TextureAs we age, our skin’s natural ability to shed dead skin cells slows down. This can lead to more clogging, more blemishes, more dark spots, and uneven texture. These built-up dead cells can enhance the look of fine lines and wrinkles!As exfoliation removes dead skin cells and rejuvenates new ones, it can make your skin appear smoother and improve its texture. If you have dry or dehydrated skin, exfoliation is one of the best ways to treat your flakes without heavy, caked-on moisturisers.However, you should always apply a light serum such as Pure Fiji’s Dilo Oil or moisturizer after you exfoliate to ensure that your new, younger skin doesn’t dry out either (especially as we head into winter in the cold and the wind).
- Helps Other ProductsWhen that layer of dead skin is removed and fresh cells are open and free, your other skincare products will better be able to get down into your pores. Exfoliating regularly will keep your skin free of this “barrier” of dead skin. Thus, your other products, such as a mask or serum, can wiggle down into your pores and do their job more efficiently! Don’t over-exfoliate, or you could strip away natural oils and do more harm than good. Exfoliating twice a week, though, will keep your skin fresh and youthful while helping your other products work in synergy.
A facial is a skin treatment for the face that can cleanse your pores, exfoliate, rejuvenate, nourish and leave your skin feeling smooth and healthier. They are very beneficial in our beauty rooms, where our therapists can give you a full skin analysis to make the decision of what the right facial is for your individual needs. The multi-step facial process varies depending on what type of facial you or the therapist have requested. We have six types of facials available and to find the perfect one for you, just keep reading!
Our first and most budget-friendly option is our Classic Facial, available for $50.00. When time is of the essence and you need time out to treat your skin, this facial package is a must. Over 45 minutes you will undergo a double cleanse, exfoliation, massage and mask. This is our entry level facial and is a great idea for a first timer.
The next level up is our Deluxe Facial. Valued at $80.00, over the course of 75 minutes you will experience the perfect all-round facial. Including a full skin analysis, double cleanse exfoliation, relaxing massage and hot steaming towel mask with our lovely Salon Professional’s range of skin care. With either of these two facials, you also can purchase a voucher online that entitles you to a free 6th facial after your 5th one!
Our next four facials available in store are our Pure Fiji facials, where all products are primarily of the brand Pure Fiji, who collect their ingredients from the rainforests in Fiji to create chemical-free, beautiful scents and textures in their products. These facial packages are more aimed at specific aspects you want to improve. They work around your skin type and result that you want than being an all-round facial.
All four of our Luxury Pure Fiji facials are valued at $110.00 and take place over the course of 75 minutes.
The first is our Pure Fiji Purifying Facial, which is ideal to purify and cleanse your skin after a summer holiday where you have been left feeling oily and icky afterwards. This deep cleansing facial removes dead skin cells by using fine clay and tropical fruit enzymes, which ends up minimising your pore appearance, strengthening skin elasticity and restoring a healthy glow on your skin. Skin is left feeling beautifully hydrated, cleansed and rejuvenated.
The Pure Fiji Hydra-Lift Facial is one to consider if you’re left feeling burnt, undernourished and are beginning to become anxious about fine lines coming through after your holiday. The Hydra-Lift facial is the key to restoring hydration and will give your skin that extra boost with the amazing line of products from Pure Fiji. This blend will rejuvenate and nourish your skin while reducing the appearance of dryness and fine lines.
Our Pure Fiji Firming Facial is a very good idea if you’re in need of a good cleanse, firming and overall skin regeneration. If you’re not sure the other facials are a match for you, this is the one to go for. The Pure Fiji Firming skincare range with stimulate elastin synthesis, improve your overall tissue structure and minimise the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Skin ends up feeling instantly lifted, tightened and firm.
Finally is our Pure Fiji Exfoliating Facial. One of the most popular facial packages purchased, the is a must for anyone craving a silky-smooth feeling for their skin. As this is the natural alternative to a chemical peel, you don’t have to stress about any nasties ending up on your face as everything is natural! With papaya and pineapple fruit enzymes, this facial will clear the face of impurities and removes the build-up of dead skin cells, creating a smooth and radiant complexion.
While receiving any of these facials, you can be comfortable in knowing you are in the hands of a professional who knows exactly what they are doing. Our Head Beauty therapist, Pam has been specially trained by the founders of Pure Fiji, so she is ready to pamper you with any of these facial rituals to create the refreshed and pampered feeling coming back from holiday.
A facial can be the perfect pick me up to bring back colour and smoothness into your skin to keep you looking wonderful for the new year. All facials we offer help to bring back hydration into skin after tanning or burning to create a fresh and new look as the new skin cells are exposed.
The perfect combination that we highly recommend for immediate results is the Deluxe Facial with Exfoliation and then Peel off Hydration mask. I had on the week and my skin looks and feels amazing.
A facial is also a very good idea for teenagers experiencing problems with their skin in their day to day life. Teenagers are the group of people who will most likely benefit from a facial, as they tend to experience clogged pores, acne and breakouts a lot more than the rest of us. Sometimes the importance of skin care is pushed to the side or forgotten, but poor skin care during youthful years can end up resulting in impurities as they grow older. It can be hard for them to find time around school, sports and their social life so the holidays are the perfect time to try something new to benefit their skin. Now is the time to mend the effects of going away on holidays on the skin to replenish and cleanse with a facial.So why as a teenager should you commit to getting facials? For teenagers, facials unclog pores and clean out blackheads caused by excess oil production on the face. It is very helpful to remember that commonly used home skin care products do not produce the same results as a professional salon facial. Home products only help reduce clogged pores, whereas salon facials fully unclog pores in a safe and efficient way.
At V for Hair and Beauty, you are also able to select the facial that will work best for you and your own skin type. This is especially helpful as teens tend to have different kinds of problem skin, so what works for one may not work for another.
Getting a facial every four to six weeks can make a big difference in your overall complexion. Whether the big difference is softened skin, feeling cleansed, having hydrated skin or minimised wrinkles, there is always a benefit of having regular facials. Booking facial appointments will also help you to keep on top of your regular skincare routine. This is because you’ll leave the beauty rooms with insight into what’s going on with your skin and the suggested follow-up care it will need once you’ve left.